Breaking News

ACB has conspired against me, I am fit to play: Shahzad


NEW DELHI: Afghanistan wicket-keeper batsman Mohammad Shahzad on Monday alleged that his nation's cricket board conspired to throw him out of the World Cup squad although he was fit enough to carry on in the mega-event.


ICC WORLD CUP 2019: FULL SCHEDULE I POINTS TABLE

Shahzad had aggravated the injury on his left knee all over the World Cup warm-up clash against Pakistan but returned to play the team's first two video games against Australia and Sri Lanka on June 1 and June 4 respectively.

However, the organisers announced ahead of the New Zealand recreation on June 8 that he was ruled out for the rest of the World Cup because of a "knee injury".

"I still don't know why I was ruled unfit when I was fit enough to play. Some people in the board (ACB) have conspired against me. Only manager, doctor and the captain knew that I was going to be replaced. Even the coach (Phil Simmons) found out much later. It was heart-breaking," Shahzad, 32, advised PTI from Kabul.

"I had finished my training (ahead of the New Zealand game) and only after I checked my phone, I found out that I have been ruled out of the World Cup due to a knee injury. None of the players in the team bus knew about it and just like me, they were in shock (at the news)," said the explosive opener.

Shahzad, one in all Afghanistan's impact avid gamers alongside Rashid Khan and Mohammad Nabi, failed in the first two World Cup video games against Australia and Sri Lanka but so did the vast majority of the batsmen barring Najibullah Zadran (51 and 43) and Rahmat Shah (43 and a pair of). Afghanistan ended up dropping each the video games ahead of going down to New Zealand.

Skipper Gulbadin Naib had called Shahzad's being ruled out a big loss but said the burly batsman was struggling along with his knee for the ultimate two-three weeks and so they had been pressured to name in teen Ikram Ali Khil as his alternative. Khil has performed one Test and 3 ODIs.

When requested to touch upon Shahzad's startling claims, ACB CEO Asadullah Khan said the wicket-keeper batsman was unfit indeed and due to this fact was unable to offer his perfect on the box.

"What he is saying is completely wrong. A proper medical report to the ICC was submitted and then only his replacement was announced. The team could not have fielded an unfit player. I understand he is upset at not being part of World Cup anymore but the team could not have compromised on his fitness," Khan advised PTI.

Shahzad, on his section, admitted that his knee was in dangerous form after the Pakistan recreation but he was superb after 3 days of leisure.

"I have had knee problems for a while now but it surely will get superb with a bit little bit of icing. I took correct leisure after the Pakistan warm-up and was fit to play once more and I did come back to play the primary two video games and was having a look forward to the New Zealand recreation until I received the surprising information from my supervisor.


"Suddenly I was replaced and I had no inkling of that. This no longer easy methods to deal with a senior player. Under the present dispensation at ACB, I see more senior avid gamers getting a uncooked deal like I did. I in point of fact really feel hard achieved by means of," added Shahzad.


Shahzad has performed a significant function in Afghanistan's rise in global cricket and a was their famous person player in the triumphant marketing campaign in the World Cup Qualifiers in Zimbabwe the place they beat the West Indies two times including in the final.


Ahead of the World Cup, Shahzad hit his sixth ODI hundred in a recreation against Ireland at Belfast on May 21. The 32-year-old has performed 84 ODIs, 65 T20 Internationals and two Tests.





No comments