Breaking News

Coonoor dump yard spews smoke non-stop, irks locals

UDHAGAMANDALAM: Residents of a number of neighbourhoods in and round Coonoor are irked with the municipal management because the dump backyard located at Ottupattarai spews smoke continuous, posing a serious health hazard. Municipal employees set fireplace to rubbish dumped there as an alternative of segregating it, stated folks of Ottupattarai, Vasuki Nagar and Valluvar Nagar in Coonoor and Karimora village near town.

The dump backyard is located a couple of metres away from residential areas in Ottupattarai.

Explaining how insufferable the situation has were given, Okay Murthy, a resident of Karimora village stated, “It’s summer and owing to the long dry spell within the hills, we tend to leave the home windows open right through the night. But the stench from the dump backyard is so robust that we don't seem to be able to sleep”. “Our village is located round 2km from the dump backyard. I can only believe the plight of the ones residing closer to it,” he added.

Dejected that the situation has gone unheard, M Valli, of Vasuki Nagar stated, “We complained to the municipal employees there, but in vain. We don't seem to be able to take the stink. The rubbish pile is smouldering round the clock”.

The burning mountain of trash is a poisonous mixture of plastic bags, paper, cans, bottles and wet waste. “It has turn into a perpetual drawback. But the Coonoor municipality has turned a blind eye in spite of it posing a grave health possibility,” stated Sundar, of Ottupattarai.

The residents suggested transferring the dump backyard in other places to facilitate the locals and segregating waste to reduce the quantum of dumping.

When contacted, Ooty municipal commissioner P Narayanan, who's in-charge of Coonoor municipality, instructed TOI, “The smoke at the dump backyard might be due to methane and different toxic gas emitted via the rubbish mix. If we find it to be due to fireplace set via municipal employees, severe motion will probably be taken”.

No comments