Breaking News

Elderly brothers choke to death in flat


KOLKATA: Two aged brothers, who were sick and may not walk with out help, suffocated to demise early on Sunday after a hearth broke out inside their room following a short circuit in an electrical heating pad. The incident happened at Beliaghata’s R L Mitra Road.

The two brothers, Shyamsundar Ghosh (82) and Golokbihari Ghosh (78), lived in a one-bedroom flat on the ground surface of a four-storey construction.


Shyamsundar used to be bedridden with severe pneumonia for the past one month, whilst Golokbihari had suffered fractures on both his legs not too long ago.

They had a nurse to care for them. She used to come around 8am and left at 9pm after feeding the 2 brothers. The nurse used to fasten the flat from outside and stay the neighbours in loop concerning the health situation of the 2.

Preliminary probe published that an electrical heating pad, which the brothers were the usage of, had a short circuit and the bed somehow stuck fireplace.

“It looks like the 2 had asphyxiated. However, we've got despatched the our bodies for post-mortem to find out the precise reason and time of demise,” stated a senior officer of Beliaghata police station.

According to other flat homeowners, some other ground-floor resident used to be the first to notice smoke coming out of the room around 6.45am. Later, she alerted other citizens of the construction.


“I saw smoke coming out from underneath the door. I knew that both the occupants were aged and sick, and in an instant alerted my husband and other citizens. Since the door used to be bolted from outside, we opened it and located all the room covered in thick black smoke. We put water on the mattress and tried to get up the 2 brothers. But none of them used to be shifting. It turns out they'd choked to demise in sleep,” stated Bandana Patra, the neighbour.


The citizens called the cops who took the 2 males to NRS clinic, where they were declared lifeless. Neighbours stated they discovered the electric scorching bag plugged in, however the fireplace may also have began from a mosquito coil since there were burnt debris of it.


Neighbours stated the 2 bought the flat most effective six months ago with all the cash they'd after years of savings.


“The two were very soft-spoken. While the elder brother used to be sick since the day he came in, the younger brother had suffered a fracture after falling down at a neighborhood marketplace,” stated some other neighbour.


No comments