Breaking News

Parts of Gariahat bldg get power, residents return


KOLKATA: Residents of the fire-ravaged building at Gariahat crossing started returning to their houses on Sunday after electrical energy was restored in some portions of the five-storey house on Saturday night time.

“The feeling is difficult to precise in words. My wife and five-year-old daughter were staying at my in-laws’ place since the night time of the hearth, when we by hook or by crook escaped the building as two of our rooms were gutted and our puppy birds choked to loss of life. We had started the restore of the rooms the next day, however since there was no electrical energy, we had to stay out of our house. I got here again ultimate night time and my wife and daughter got here again on Sunday,” said Sumon Ghosh, a first-floor resident.

Since the morning of January 20, Ghosh’s wife Saheli, daughter Soumava and puppy Dalmatian Poppins were staying in Baranagar, while Ghosh and his son Subhrodol, 18, publish at a visitor house. “It was numerous trouble and we had to run from pillar to put up to get the electrical energy restored. Even then, electrical energy has been restored handiest to a bit of the building,” Ghosh said.


Apart from filing no objection certificate from the police and hearth department, each family had to provide NOC from Kolkata Municipal Corporation, following which, energy was restored to their houses.

Ghosh’s next door neighbour Rathindranath Samajpati, who were living at a relative’s house on Ekdalia Road together with his family for the previous week, was also again house and was making plans to spend the night time together with his family there for the primary time since the hearth.

“I had spent a couple of nights at nighttime, however I could not possibility my wife and women staying right here. Electricity was restored to our flat handiest on Sunday night time and, quickly after that, we moved again in,” said Samajpati, who was one of the crucial first folks to spot the hearth.

A big portion of his 1,500sqft house was broken within the blaze on January 19.


Since Saturday night time, electrical energy was restored in two sections of the building — 47B Gariahat Road and 161A Rashbehari Avenue. However, the opposite two sections — 47A Gariahat Road and 161B Rashbehari Avenue (that housed Traders Assembly) are but to get energy. The building housed a total of 26 flats, two sari shops, 11 smaller stores and one restaurant. The restaurant, too, has started operation, however is running on a generator.


Households where electrical energy is but to be restored are having a tough time and are pleading with the authorities to restore energy in an instant.


“We keep in mind that energy connection to flats within the ‘unsafe’ portion of the building at 161B, towards which an FIR has been registered, can't be restored in an instant. But our portion was unaffected within the hearth and we're still being disadvantaged of electrical energy. I can talk over with the KMC administrative center and CESC administrative center again on Monday and will plead with them to consider our case,” said Manoj Kumar Saha, who runs a store selling spectacles at Tollygunge.




No comments