Breaking News

Fire at SDF Building, 500 employees evacuated


KOLKATA: Just as offices had started their day, a fire broke out on the second flooring within the eastern wing of SDF Building within the middle of the Sector V IT hub round 10 on Wednesday morning, triggering well-liked panic some of the workers. Though the fireplace alarm failed to go off, all the 500-odd other folks working on three flooring at the moment have been hurriedly evacuated earlier than anyone got here to hurt.

Four fire engines doused the blaze in one-and-a-half hours, but the incident laid bare the necessity of reviewing the firefighting machine at the oldest development at Sector V that housed round 100 offices in its two wings. The cause of the fireplace used to be but to be ascertained, stated an legitimate. But assets stated a brief circuit within the electric twine connected to a spilt AC used to be most likely the cause.

It used to be at nine.55am that workers of DQ Entertainment International Limited, an animation production administrative center on the second flooring, noticed smoke close to a break up AC. “Around 50 of us have been within the administrative center at the moment. The morning shift had simply begun and a few of our colleagues have been but to reach, once we spotted the smoke,” stated an employee. Shortly, thick smoke, coupled with a smelly smell, enveloped the 4,000sqft unit and unfold to the corridor leading to the staircase. “We may neither see the rest through the smoke, nor may we breathe properly. As we started working down, we realised how bad the scene used to be,” stated an employee. Gopal Das, a security officer-cum-front desk manager, confirmed no person used to be trapped within.

Employees of the opposite offices panicked as they saw other folks scurrying to safety. “We have been working once we noticed smoke billowing out of the administrative center next to ours. As we seemed out of the balcony, we saw other folks standing on the flooring under, shouting a fire had damaged out. We ran out,” stated Subhadip Banerjee, an IT employee. “It used to be a horrifying scene as we saw thick smoke engulfing the corridor and other folks screaming for help. The electric connection within the development used to be switched off and the carry stopped working. So, we ran down the stairs to get out of the development but the smoke had started spreading there,” stated an IT company employee.

All those working within the different firms on the flooring above and under have been additionally evacuated at the same time as body of workers from the fireplace station next door arrived inside of mins of being alerted. Setting up hydraulic ladders, firemen climbed up to the affected flooring and broke the glass panes to set free the smoke.

For the following one-and-a-half hours, the animation corporate workers waited downstairs, praying that the flames did not destroy the entirety and that they could resume paintings at the earliest. “We are an export-oriented unit and paintings for out of the country purchasers. Numerous initiatives are on and each minute mattered as we paintings for points in time,” stated an employee. Fire minister Sujit Bose, who reached the spot, promised all help to verify well timed restoration of electricity to the offices. The flames have been put out via 11.30am.

Once the flames have been doused, the employees have been allowed to go back to their offices. “The fire itself did not seem to have broken lots of our CPUs, but the water sprayed ruined virtually 200 CPUs. The greatest problem now could be to finish the undertaking on time. Our techniques may have been stored, had the fire-brigade body of workers used some other material to place out the fireplace,” stated Chiranjib Rudra, marketing consultant of the animation corporate.

Several workers working within the different offices stated they didn't pay attention the fireplace alarm move off because the smoke-detectors had caps on them. “An agency used to be working on the renovation of the fire-safety measures and the smoke-detectors have been but to be passed over to Webel,” stated an legitimate of Webel, in command of keeping up the development.

State additional leader secretary (IT &E) Debashis Sen, additionally the chairman of NDITA, stated, “The NDITA leader engineer will get ready a record on the fire safety preparations of the development. A fireplace audit will also be carried out,” he stated.


Pointing out that the cause used to be but to be decided, Anindya Chatterjee, MD of Webel, stated, “It started on the premises of one of the tenants. We will write to the tenant, asking for their rationalization. We will find out why the fireplace alarm within the tenant’s premises did not move off. People seemed to have reacted simplest on seeing the smoke.”


Sector V Stakeholders’ Association VP Kalyan Kar stated a fire audit will have to be carried out for all Sector V buildings.






No comments